Food Services Attendant (CUPE) - Food Services - Part-Time Temporary (until July 24, 2021) - Markham Site
Who we are:
Markham Stouffville Hospital (MSH) is one of Ontario’s leading community hospitals. Across our two sites (Markham and Uxbridge) and Reactivation Care Centre (RCC), we provide high quality, patient-centred care to more than 435,000 patients each year. We offer diagnostic and emergency services and deliver clinical programs in acute care medicine and surgery, addictions and mental health, and childbirth and children’s services. We are also proud to be part of the Eastern York Region North Durham Ontario Health Team (OHT).
Our 526 physicians, 28 midwives, 2,400 staff and 1,000 volunteers serve patients and families with an honoured to care mindset and are focused on delivering an extraordinary patient experience to the residents of Markham, Whitchurch-Stouffville, Uxbridge and beyond.. We are dedicated to providing access to the right care, at the right time, in the right place by the right people and at the right cost. Are you ready to join us?
Who you are:
You are a strong, strategic leader with exceptional relationship building and interpersonal skills
You are a team player with excellent communication, critical thinking and customer service skills
You have vision, flexibility, transparency, honesty and practicality
You support the patient experience, your colleagues and cultural and spiritual beliefs of others
You encompass MSH’s core values and live the words of Respect, Trust, Commitment, Compassion and Courage
What we need:
The Food Services Attendant plays a vital role in patient satisfaction related to meals through the Burlodge system. Your major responsibilities will include:
- Providing excellent customer service to patients through meal selection, preparation and delivery
- Production/ portioning/preparing /labeling of food products for patient meals and nourishments
- Assembling patient meals according to patient diets
- Collecting food items from fridges and freezers according to meal tally’s
- Delivery of meals and pick up of soiled trays on patient units
- Working in dishroom, strip trays, empty garbages, clean and maintain garburator
- Active participation in health and safety and quality control activities of the department, e.g. taking temperatures of equipment and food, following food safety regulations, using proper personal protective equipment as needed
- Providing excellent service to patients and customers by following scripting and Key words according to department standards
- Ensuring your work area and equipment are tidy, clean and sanitary
- Following department policies, procedures and kitchen standards at all times
In this position, the successful candidate may work a variety of assignments within the department (i.e. Beltline, Dish room, Cleaner, Pot wash, and Production).
The successful candidate would be working rotating shifts (Evenings 1:30 PM-6:30 PM, 1:30 PM-7:30 PM, 3:45 PM - 7:30 PM & Days 5:45AM-1:45PM, 7:45 AM - 3:45 PM) and staff are to work every other weekend. Ability to pick up additional shifts as needed. Please note schedules may change due to operational needs.
Band CU01: $21.75 - $23.73 per hour
- Continuous bending, lifting, reaching and standing for long periods during the shift
- Extensive walking
- Pushing patient food carts through hallways and patient units
- Fast pace work environment
- Exposure to heat and cold i.e. walk in fridges and freezers
What you Bring to MSH:
- Current Food Handlers Certification through the local health unit or equivalent REQUIRED.
- Minimum Grade 10 education or equivalent
- Strong customer service skills; previous related food service experience is preferred
- Proficient computer skills; previous experience with hand held tablet devices is a definite asset
- Evidence of good initiative and problem solving
- Strong communication (written and verbal), interpersonal, organizational and prioritizing skills
- Demonstrated ability to work independently as well as a member of the team
- Demonstrated good attendance and work performance record with the ability to maintain these same standards
- Demonstrated commitment to a healthy and safe workplace for self and others (staff, patients, families, etc.) by taking all reasonable precautions and working in compliance with Hospital related policies health and safety legislation and best practices and completing relevant mandatory education as required
Markham Stouffville Hospital takes pride in serving some of Canada’s most diverse communities. We are committed to fostering an environment of equity and inclusivity where every person can work and receive care safely, openly and honestly. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, colour, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, nation of origin, genetics, disability, age, veteran status, marital or family status, belief system, or other factors related to one’s personal identity and/or values. Furthermore, Markham Stouffville Hospital is committed to meeting the needs of all individuals in accordance with the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA) and the Ontario Human Rights Code. Should you require accommodations during the recruitment and selection process, please contact Human Resources.